The Essential Skills of an IT Support Team
Posted by Timothy Platt on Feb 18, 2017
As we discussed in our first two articles; an IT Managed Services plan provides better service and predictable costs when compared to traditional support approaches. The secret to “better service” is simple – it’s a customer service focus backed up with the skills that are needed to support all the technology you depend on. But it’s not just about supporting computers, servers, and networks – strategic planning, communications, and simply understanding your business needs are also essential skills. To understand this diverse set of skills, we’ll discuss in this article what the essential roles of an effective IT support team are.
The Effective IT Support Team
For an IT team to be effective, these roles are needed:
- Chief Information Officer (CIO) – Responsible for vision, strategy, long term planning – and for a roadmap that fulfills the business needs. Acts as the primary business liaison. For additional info on this specific role, we have an extensive explanation of why you need a CIO.
- IT Manager – Oversees day to day operations, personnel management, empowered decision maker with the authority and responsibility to make decisions to provide the best support possible. Serves as a point of escalation. Ensures customer satisfaction. Understands how and why things are done the way they are done from a business perspective.
- Project Manager – Detail oriented, builds and maintains schedules with action items and due dates, assigns ownership. Ensures that progress is moving forward. Coordinates across functions and departments, both within IT and the business. And perhaps most important of all – communications!
- Desktop Technician – The first line of technical support for computers (Windows or Mac), laptops, phones, and applications.
- Network Engineer – Specialist with a focus on complicated network technologies – Internet, routing, firewall, and Wi-Fi.
- System Administrator – A server and storage support specialist – servers (Windows/Linux), databases, permissions, and security.
- Applications Specialist – In depth knowledge of business critical applications such as email, office productivity (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Adobe, and all your applications that are critical to your business.
These are important skills, and it’s impossible to find one person that can do it all. Whether your company is 2 people or 200, you need a team approach to ensure all the bases are covered.
How Does Your Team Stack Up?
Ask yourself these questions:
- How does your current managed service provider or internal IT team stack up to this list of roles?
- Are all the roles covered?
- Are all the roles covered sufficiently?
- Are you (or they) growing your resources to take on these roles?
- Last, but not least, can your business afford to spend so much time and effort dwelling on this?
The Orlando IT Company that Cares About Your Small Business
Virtual Operations is the Orlando IT company that cares about your small business. The computer support partner you choose can make all the difference. Our Managed IT Service offering provides the expertise and proactive care required to ensure your technology works for you. We are Orlando’s top small business tech support, and that is the advantage that Virtual Operations provides.
Our IT Managed Services provide:
- Complete IT support 24x7x365 – on-premises or in the cloud. Computer support, server support, network support, and help desk – we do it all.
- Access on demand to deep and broad technology skills – we can handle any technology you have. You are supported by a team, not an individual.
- A proactive focus on everything from your network to your key business applications – it’s in our best interest to prevent a problem, rather than fix it afterwards
- Quality and consistency – Our thorough documentation and repeatable procedures let us deliver maximum customer satisfaction
- Management oversight and planning – day to day and strategically. You don’t just get IT technicians – you get a CIO, an IT manager, and a project manager – for a price competitive with hiring IT employees
- Lastly, we provide a 60 day – money back guarantee