Managed IT Services – Good for You , Good for Us
Posted by Timothy Platt on Feb 9, 2017
As we discussed in our first article; a Managed IT Services plan is a great way to meet your IT support needs – it removes the headaches and distractions of technology and allows the business to focus on what’s important. It’s a pro-active approach that focuses on avoiding the problems (and requests) before they happen. Perhaps best of all it results in predictable costs because service is provided on a fixed fee basis. It almost sounds too good to be true – better service, better uptime, less issues, and at a predictable and competitive cost?
Let’s examine this by first understanding the traditional IT “break-fix” model of support.
Break-fix IT Support and why Managed IT Services are better
Break-Fix is the model by which support is provided on an “as-needed” basis – if something is broken, the vendor is engaged, and it is fixed, for an hourly fee. This model could be very cost efficient, but this is only the case in a simple environment with minimal needs. Further it’s a short term focused view that completely ignores the big picture and lacks any sort of long term planning or strategy.
In a nutshell, the shortcomings of the break-fix approach:
- The vendor makes money when there are problems – when there aren’t problems – they don’t make money. Where’s the motivation to fix things permanently and ensure smooth operations?
- Short term focus results in big surprises – Obsolete equipment, software versions, and a lack of proactive maintenance means problems are ignored or invisible until the last possible moment, and then require expensive emergency actions and downtime to address
- Unpredictable Fees – Billing by the hour, there’s little impetus for the vendor to work efficiently. Further the monthly cost for IT can fluctuate wildly and cannot be forecasted accurately!
- Continuity of knowledge – any requests will require extensive research and understanding of the environment before the actual issue can be addressed. The vendor will spend a considerable amount of time familiarizing themselves with the changes in the environment since the last incident. This means more downtime!
In a simple environment, with very few infrequent needs, break-fix may make sense. Unfortunately there is a fundamental mis-match in how break-fix profits are derived that is directly at odds with providing the best experience for the customer. We believe Managed IT Services is a better approach in all situations.
The Advantages of Managed IT Services
With Managed IT Services the fundamental equation is reversed – we don’t make money when you have problems, we make money when you don’t have problems! Managed IT Services allow for predictable costs, better service, and ensure you have a technology roadmap for your business.
- Costs are predictable – your service is provided at a monthly or quarterly fixed rate. This covers all support needs 24x7x365 as well as project labor – improvements, upgrades, new systems and applications needed by the business
- When you have problems – we have to address them and the labor costs that we have to absorb pile up (remember we are on a fixed fee basis!) – therefore we are highly motivated to ensure you don’t have the problems in the first place
- We understand your complete environment from top to bottom in a rigorous fashion – because we have to – otherwise our labor costs would be too inefficient
- We proactively address items as needed to ensure issues don’t happen and document thoroughly everything related to your environment – passwords, architecture diagrams, networks ,etc.
- Basic maintenance – patching of servers, desktops, laptops, anti-virus, and anti-malware systems is all included
- We have monitoring systems in place on all key equipment to ensure problems are noticed by our staff before they are noticed by you. Our techs would rather fix a problem on business hours than to get a “surprise” at 2am!
In summary, our complete understanding of your systems allow us to quickly and efficiently resolve problems at any hour of the day – and that is good for you, and good for us
Our Managed IT Services provide:
- Complete IT support 24x7x365 – on-premises or in the cloud. Computer support, server support, network support, and help desk – we do it all.
- Access on demand to deep and broad technology skills – we can handle any technology you have. You are supported by a team, not an individual.
- A proactive focus on everything from your network to your key business applications – it’s in our best interest to prevent a problem, rather than fix it afterwards
- Quality and consistency – Our thorough documentation and repeatable procedures let us deliver maximum customer satisfaction
- Management oversight and planning – day to day and strategically. You don’t just get IT technicians – you get a CIO, an IT manager, and a project manager – for a price competitive with hiring IT employees
- Lastly, we provide a 60 day – money back guarantee
At the end of the day, moving your IT support out of office is a big decision. If you have any questions about Managed IT Services and would like to speak to an IT expert, please call us at (407) 268-6626. We are Orlando, Florida’s premier managed service provider.
This is the 2nd part of a multi-part series discussing the advantages of Managed IT Services, you can read the third part here.
The Orlando IT Company that Cares About Your Small Business
Virtual Operations is the Orlando IT company that cares about your small business. The computer support partner you choose can make all the difference. Our Managed IT Service offering provides the expertise and proactive care required to ensure your technology works for you. We are Orlando’s top small business tech support, and that is the advantage that Virtual Operations provides.